Monday, March 3, 2014

Stage 2... Begin

And a new month begins.

Day 2 of the new month as I'm writing this, and I'm making a respectable amount of progress with preparing for my second on-month of crazy takka-takka keyboard smashing come April.

There are a few changes that I'm hoping to implement with this coming month that should help me to be a little more effective. The first one, as you may have noticed, is that I've changed my posting time. I'm going to be experimenting with this for a few months based on what reports have said is the best time for posting and see which works best for me. Some days and times are better for page counts, others for comments, others for getting people to link to your stuff. I don't know yet which is the most important for me yet, since it's not just what I'm losing or what I'm gaining for a certain day or time but how much I'm losing against how much I'm gaining.

Another change that I'm making is automating my Twitter account to schedule my Tweets like I do my blog. This'll mean that my Twitter account is something that I only have to think about once in awhile instead of something that can force me to choose between posting at a good time and disrupting a good writing period.

Productivity report

For-market stories currently completed:
  1. The Albatross Came 
  2. The Angel in the Basement (completed this week)
  3. Azazel's Goat (completed this week; formerly The Scapegoat)
  4. The Dog Set Free
  5. Finding Ginny
  6. An Honor and an Horror 
  7. Lost Girl
  8. The Man with the Bloody Coat
  9. Percival 
  10. Perfect Engine
  11. Pickman's Estate
  12. The Philosopher's Ship
  13. Sedatophobia
  14. Thomas Edison's Last Gambit
You'll notice that I don't have The Buddha on the Road up there. I kind of dropped the ball on that one. Well, what's done is done...

There are a lot of forums that I plan to get into, for the first time or not. Community is essential for both feedback and awareness, and if I'm going to have any success then I need to pay it forward on credit: If I'm going to get reviews then I need to review other people first.

There are some other websites that I plan on posting fiction to, too. Every little bit helps. Most of them are fanfiction sites but I'm looking for original fiction sites too. Does anybody know of a site that uses the structure from Archive of Our Own but allows original fiction? That'd be all kinds of sweet bro and hella jeff.

Also: restructuring my blogs (and getting a few more guest posts like Mr. Gagne's); getting back to cleaning my files out;  reading more (both online and in print); writing enough fiction, WMB and TWTIGTD posts, & guest posts for The Oak Wheel and The Fridge to last until my next off/prep-month; finishing the last nine articles in the Culture Column; drawing up... thirteen outlines so that I have twenty come my next crazy/on-month; maybe finish cleaning out my bookmarks; send out a load's load of submissions (mostly poetry) to publishers (let's aim for... eighty? yeah, eighty poems) and build my card catalog of publishers; maybe do some pre-prep prep to make next off/prep-month a little easier; do some work on the Useful PDF; write a So You Want To... page or two; outline Unlikely; probably edit some stories; maybe do a little more tinkering with different story ideas I've got...

Oh, and do a little bit of work on Sundays for a certain story that I won't be telling you about until I've got it all figured out. It'll be interesting, I hope. Abraham Isaac and WWI and Catholic priests and maybe Tarot and... Well, it's defs not what you're thinking it is. Nope, not that either.

Just wait and see, kk?

...

Yeah, I think that's a good laundry list, plus the school prep and work-work that I need to get done. I'll take another looksie over the next month and let yous know if there's anything else I had to add, and probs get an actual schedule out for getting this done. I'm hoping to get all the stories (maybe all the posts) done by the end of this week. If I can get four or five culture columns done in a day then that leaves me with the two of the three biggest jobs done when I wake up on the Twelfth. Let's say Thirteenth to play it safe. Still gives me fifteen days plus Sundays to get the rest done, and that'll be good enough.

Yeah. I can work with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment