Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Art Gallery: "Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus)"

Alright. I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm not really sure where I'm going to be going with this. I would like for this to be a kind of "these are the stories that are coming out of these pictures" thing, but I'm not sure if that's what it's going to be. If it can manage to be that then I'll transfer it over to White Marble Block. Otherwise it'll stay here as... I don't know. As a thing. 

Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus)
Salvador Dali
This is my favorite depiction of the crucifixion. Which probably seems weird and all but... Well, it probably is weird, no defending it (not that it needs defending). Wikipedia describes the figure as an "exploding Christ" and links it to Dali's "nuclear mysticism" art theory. 

It feels like the hypercube is in the process of unfolding, that it is pushing against Jesus' back. The image is clean of wounds, of nails and thorns, which occurs in Dali's other crucifixion painting as well. 

From Wikipedia, "The use of a hypercube for the cross has been interpreted as a geometric symbol for the transcendental nature of God. Just as God exists in a space that is incomprehensible to humans, the hypercube exists in four spatial dimensions, which is equally inaccessible to the mind. The net of the hypercube is a three-dimensional representation of it, similar to how Christ is a human form of God that is more relatable to people."

Okay, now we're getting somewhere with the story ideas end of things, because I'm getting this idea of a sort of more symbolic crucifixion, of God being crucified against Godself. A servant of God, God's prophet perhaps, being crucified, pummeled, tortured, agonized against the unfolding, Earthly-manifesting form of God. Or an avatar of God, having forgotten Godself, is being put (by another aspect of Godself) on the wheel of fire as combination punishment and redemption, much like what I'm going for in my present story Roadside Diner of the Gods.

I think that there is something very interesting in the idea of God being the instrument of torture. Going a little further it is the manifestation of God-on-Earth that is the instrument of torture and death, just as said torture and death is in accordance with God's will. In this way it... shows that God is willing to do the dirty work and take matters into God's own hands?

The checkerboard pattern makes me think of Alice in Wonderland. Which isn't a bad fit for Dali, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment