Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Trans/Post Terminology: Some Errata

Here's the most pointless post you may encounter for awhile!

"Transhuman" and "Posthuman" are species-chauvinistic terms that ignore the fact that non-homo sapiens species could and almost certainly have reached the same state, and absolutely will in the future. And as you may have guessed from a brief aside in my Pronoun Sets and Present Tense article, I strive to avoid even things as presently irrelevant as species chauvinism (as I say elsewhere, it's silly to avoid changing now when you know that you'll have to change in the future and it's just that your arm isn't being twisted yet).

"-mind" doesn't work all the way. Transmind? Sure. Postmind? No. They've still got minds, even if they're difficult to understand.

Wiktionary defines sophont as "an intelligent being; a being with a base reasoning capacity roughly equivalent to or greater than that of a human being." By that definition Transophont and Postsophont carry the same issue.

We could re-define sophont to give it a rough upper limit too, but then what will we use to carry the earlier definition? Luminous (or radiant)? Animoid (from animus/anima)? Leave your suggestions in the box, because I have no idea.

Transbeing again has issues. Postbeing? Just doesn't work.

And yes, I just might be obstinate in looking for a term that applies equally well to "trans-" and "post-."

What I'm leaning toward at the moment

Transflesh and Postflesh work for me. I guess that sure, it's meat-chauvinistic, but I think we've reached the point in that where our chauvinism is at least not unreasonable. Even if, well...

Most of all I like Trans* and Post*, but Trans* may be mistakable for transgender/transsexual. The question then is, Do they both involve liminality to the extent that the similarity may actually be productive, or at least not-detrimental?

(presumably we would pronounce these as "trans-splat" and "post-splat.")

2 comments:

  1. Trans human and Transgender are not similar enough that you can use Trans* for Transhuman. And it is just pronounced Trans, not Trans-splat. The * is a wildcard, as in programming or Web searches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I figured, but I also tend to be too... Not risk-averse. I want to say "conservative" but that has the wrong connotations, especially in this context.

    I tend to overthink things and make a bigger deal than they are.

    (I also tend to pronounce symbols...)

    ReplyDelete