Friday, November 8, 2013

Dead Missionary Report

I’m writing this in the car on the way between two DIs. Mom found most of the volumes of The Work and the Glory, which has sent us on a quest to find Volumes 6 and 9 to complete the series.

In missionary parlance I’ve been dead for three days now, which means that you’ve got the privilege of reading the words of a ghost. If this is the Spirit World, though, then it looks remarkably like Utah, which isn’t really what I was expecting.

Utah really is an inescapable black hole.
 
Dead Missionary Life hasn’t been as restful as I imagined. There are a lot of people to see before I go home, and yesterday we went up to tour BYU-I. I’ll be living there for most of three years, so it’s a good thing that the campus appears to be a place that I’d be content to live at. It feels a lot like the campus at Schoolcraft College, which is nice.

By far the most curious thing to me is that I don’t feel a great and pervading shock over the transition. What I’m doing now feels as normal as what I was doing before. I would wonder if this was a sign that I wasn’t going as far as I should in my mission, but the transition into my mission felt just as natural, and the same when one of my companions genuinely died (and not just in the parlance of missionaries). It seems more likely that I just adjust very quickly.

The anticipation and worry over how I would take the change were worse than the change itself. Which, honestly, I should have expected. I had had enough information on hand to anticipate that.

Still working on renovating the site. I hope to have it all finished by the end of next week but, you know, working on that in between everything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment