Monday, January 6, 2014

Gratitude

People often remember to be thankful for the big things, like their children or having food on the table. And when they think to be thankful for the little things, they think about their mother's sense of humor or the way that their friend is always able to sit down for five minutes when they need to Talk.

I won't dispute that they're little things, but if that's what we're going to term them then maybe we should also classify them as deep things. And in that case, why not have take a moment to be thankful for the shallow things, too? Yeah, they don't mean much, but they're still there and they're still nice.

I'm thankful for Jack's pizza. I'm thankful for Doctor Who. I'm thankful for Harry Potter fanfiction, and fanfiction in general, and Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality in particular. I'm thankful for notebooks and pencils and my missionary planner that I've been able to adapt to civilian life, because it makes life a little bit simpler. I'm thankful for chocolate, and I'm thankful for Homestuck, and for pillows, and for the Animorphs series.

I want to say that I'm thankful for these things and for so many other little, shallow things that don't really matter, because even if they don't matter they're still there, and not being thankful for them doesn't mean that I'm wise. It just means that I'm ungrateful.

What are some of the shallow things that you're thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment